The year of the monkey is ending, and children at the Bright Kids Nursery in Crabbs Cross are preparing to welcome in the year of the Rooster. Youngsters at the setting in Evesham Road have already been busy making dragons to celebrate the Chinese New Year. From tomorrow there will be food tasting taking place, which will include a range of traditional Chinese dishes including noodles, wontons and egg fried rice. Katie Buckley, deputy manager and preschool leader said the staff will be putting their culinary skills to the test.
We will be making spring rolls so the children can taste them as they are made in China,” she said. “Also we will be trying to make our own fortune cookies. It is a difficult recipe but we will try our best and we will give the children pieces of paper so they can practice their mark making. There will be different activities through the nursery themed around the year of the Rooster and we will also have a role play area to encourage the children to act out some of the things they have learned about Chinese New Year.”
Which Chinese Zodiac Sign Are You?
The years below are a rough guide, but if you were born in January or February it may be slightly different as the new year moves between 21 January and February 20.
- Rat: 2008, 1996, 1984, 1972, 1960
- Ox: 2009, 1997, 1985, 1973, 1961
- Tiger: 2010, 1998, 1986, 1974, 1962
- Rabbit: 2011, 1999, 1987, 1975, 1963
- Dragon: 2012, 2000, 1988, 1976, 1964
- Snake: 2013, 2001, 1989, 1977, 1965
- Horse: 2014, 2002, 1990, 1978, 1966
- Sheep: 2015, 2003, 1991, 1979, 1967
- Monkey: 2016, 2004, 1992, 1980, 1968
- Rooster: 2017, 2005, 1993, 1981, 1969
- Dog: 2018, 2006, 1994, 1982, 1970
- Pig: 2019, 2007, 1995, 1983, 1971
What does your Chinese zodiac sign mean?
In Chinese astrology, the 12 animal zodiac signs each have unique characteristics.
- Rat: Intelligent, adaptable, quick-witted, charming, artistic, sociable.
- Ox: Loyal, reliable, thorough, strong, reasonable, steady, determined.
- Tiger: Enthusiastic, courageous, ambitious, leadership, confidence, charismatic.
- Rabbit: Trustworthy, empathic, modest, diplomatic, sincere, sociable, caretakers.
- Dragon: Lucky, flexible, eccentric, imaginative, artistic, spiritual, charismatic.
- Snake: Philosophical, organized, intelligent, intuitive, elegant, attentive, decisive.
- Horse: Adaptable, loyal, courageous, ambitious, intelligent, adventurous, strong.
- Sheep: Tasteful, crafty, warm, elegant, charming, intuitive, sensitive, calm.
- Monkey: Quick-witted, charming, lucky, adaptable, bright, versatile, lively, smart.
- Rooster: Honest, energetic, intelligent, flamboyant, flexible, diverse, confident.
- Dog: Loyal, sociable, courageous, diligent, steady, lively, adaptable, smart.
- Pig: Honourable, philanthropic, determined, optimistic, sincere, sociable.