Top Tips for Choosing a Nursery
1. Check that the nursery you choose is registered with Ofsted. (The registration certificate will be displayed along with a current certificate of insurance.) and ask to see the most recent Ofsted report- this details the quality of nursery education and care and the appropriateness of the equipment and facilities
2. Visit the nursery and consider the following:-
- Does the Nursery have an established history, how experienced are they in childcare.
- Do you receive a warm welcome.
- Does the atmosphere feel ‘homely’.
- Is there a safe, stimulating & regularly used outside play area.
- Is the interior bright, attractive, clean, well decorated, warm and light.
- Is the equipment good quality, clean, safe and age appropriate.
- What are the parking facilities like, are they on the street or on-site.
3. Is the food fresh and prepared daily? Can they cater for special diets? Are the menus varied and nutritional?
4. Look at the children in the nursery, do they appear to be happy and well occupied? Are the children using a variety of equipment & are the staff involved? What are the ratios for caring for your child?
5. Are the staff happy, relaxed, well presented, calm and confident? What are the qualifications & stability of the staff & are they all trained in Paediatric First Aid, CRB checked & reference checked? Who is in charge? What experience in childcare and what qualifications does that person have?
6. Do parents and staff work in partnership recording your child’s activities and achievements? Will your child be attached to a key person who will be your main contact and will keep you informed? Do they regularly use Customer feedback forms to make sure Parents & children are happy with their care?
7. What will the charge be? What does this include?
8. What provision is there for activities, potty training, emergency procedures, discipline & other nursery policies?
9. Have you & your child enjoyed your visit? Have you been offered a visit & trial sessions to settle your child into Nursery?
10. Speak to friends and family – personal recommendations are an excellent start. If possible look at thank you notes & testimonials on websites.