It was in January 1999 that the first Bright Kids Nursery opened it’s doors, and now staff at the Studley setting are planning an exciting party. Characters ranging from the Frozen princesses to the Lion King animals will be helping the nursery celebrate it’s eighteenth birthday. Plans are in place for the milestone party, which takes place on January 18th, with staff deciding they are going to transform the nursery into a Disney Land for the day. Even the outdoor area is going to be decorated with a Frozen theme, so children can expect ice-themed games and a range of fun activities.
Deputy manager Tina Davis said: “All the staff at the nursery agreed that a Disney theme would be wonderful for the party. We are having an 18th birthday cake made and each room at the nursery will have a different theme from Disney. The children will be enjoying party games including pass the parcel and musical statues, there will also be party food and fun activities – it is set to be a fantastic celebration.”
What Happened In 1999
It may have only been 18 years ago but it is incredible how different life was in 1999.
- In 1999 the average house price was £79,384 compared to £216,674 today.
- The human population of the world surpassed six billion – today it is over 7 billion.
- Eleven countries took on the Euro currency, today it is the sole currency of 19 EU member states.
- The minimum wage was introduced for all adults at £3.60 per hour, now it is £7.50 for those aged over 25.
- London saw the opening of the Millennium Dome.
- The death of TV presenter Jill Dando shocked the UK.
- Prince Edward married Sophie Rhys-Jones.
- Walmart bought ASDA.
- The creation of Bluetooth was announced.
- Top films of the year included Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, The Sixth Sense, Toy Story 2 and The Matrix.